Instructors and advisors (faculty, academic, and support) can add comments to flags that have been raised. Information appropriate for a comment includes updates about the students performance in the course, a recap of a meeting with a student about the flag and/or any additional information related to the flag. When adding comments, instructors and advisors are encouraged to address the comment directly to the student and send the student a copy of it (see below for instructions on how to send to the student).
IMPORTANT: Information entered in the Starfish system is disclosable under FERPA. If a student requests to view their educational record, information from the Starfish system may be requested.
- Access Starfish through:
- From the Starfish homepage, click the navigation Menu
in the upper left corner of the screen
- Click the arrow next to the word Students to display a drop-down menu
- Select Tracking
- Search by Student or your Connection to the student
- Hover your cursor over the flag icon by the alert you want to choose, the Flag Menu will appear
- Select Comment (Do not use the Edit Flag function)
- Enter appropriate subject and note
- Should be clear, supportive, and specific to the alert
- Do not include any personal or medical information the student has shared with you
- Avoid evaluative language
- Check the appropriate box(es) to indicate who should be copied on the communication (communication will be emailed directly to those indicated)
- Click Submit and the comment will be added to the flag and emails will be sent to those selected