Welcome to the Starfish page for the RIT community! Within this site you will find an overview of the academic alert system, training documentation, and FAQ's.
We are continuously developing this site and information will be updated regularly; please check back frequently for the newest updates about academic alerts!
Summer 2188 Academic Progress Surveys for RIT Rochester, NY Campus*
Academic Progress survey 2188-1 will open at 7am on Tuesday May 28th and close at 11pm on Tuesday June 11th.
Academic Progress survey 2188-2 will open at 7am on Tuesday July 7th and close at 11pm on Tuesday July 16th.
Last day to withdraw with a grade of “W” is Wednesday July 24, 2019.
First 6-Week Session
Academic Progress survey 2188-6wk1 will open at 7am on Tuesday May 28th and close at 11pm on Tuesday June 11th.
Last day to withdraw with a grade of “W” is Wednesday June 18, 2019.
Second 6-Week Session
Academic Progress survey 2188-6wk2 will open at 7am on Tuesday July 9th and close at 11pm on Tuesday July 16th.
Last day to withdraw with a grade of “W” is Wednesday August 1, 2019.
All 2188 flags will be Cleared on Friday August 16, 2019.
*You can send an academic alert at ANY point in the term by using the "Raise Flag" function.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR INSTRUCTORS:
How to Complete an Academic Progress Survey Video
Starfish allows the course instructor to easily inform a student that they may be at-risk in specific areas within the course. Advisors assigned to the student also receive notification of the instructors concern. Instructors and advisors can then take a coordinated approach to help students utilize campus resources and develop an action plan.
The progress survey allows an instructor to send alerts related to different aspects of academic performance (attendance/participation, low assignments/tests scores, or multiple concerns). Each topic identified as a concern will generate an automated email that goes directly to the student. We ask that you:
- Check only ONE box for the performance area of greatest concern
- Indicate in the comment box any specifics about the alert, including your concerns related to the other performance areas.
- Selecting more than one box triggers separate emails to the student for each area of concern, resulting in multiple emails.
- Any time an instructor raises a flag (via progress survey or "Raise Flag") and includes a comment, the comment is embedded in the standardized email and goes directly to the student. Please direct all comments directly to the student.
- All comments and messages are stored in the Starfish system and are disclosable under FERPA.
- In-person training is highly recommended for instructors to understand the system's additional functionality & communications related to alerts. In the meantime, a user can get a good overview of the system by reviewing the information listed under each of the menu items included on this site.
Training and Questions:
Training sessions will be offered through CPD on:
- Thursday 2/7/19 @ 10-11am in CIMS 2160
- Wednesday 3/6/19 @ 1-2pm CIMS 2160
- Please register at: https://www.rit.edu/fa/cpd/starfish-academic-alert-instructors-and-advisors
- The step-by-step guides on this site serve as a user guide.
- For individual training or questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 585-475-5057
- If you have any questions not addressed on this site, please contact email@example.com