Q: Can I get accounts on myCourses for non RIT users or people who do not have an RIT Account?
Yes, a guest account can be created for guest users on myCourses.
RIT's license with D2L for the myCourses course management system covers any account associated with an RIT Account. Accounts for non-RIT users incur an additional charge based on our licensing agreement with the vendor.
These accounts are for access to myCourses only, they do not allow access to RIT Email or any other RIT systems or services. If you need a full RIT Account for a non-RIT user you will need to contact Information & Technology Services for assistance.
Non-RIT Users should only be granted access to RIT courses if this access is in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). This includes the exposure of student enrollments, grades, and work in current and prior course offerings to parties without official reason for access.
Complaints brought against RIT for FERPA violations may may result in fines, or impact RIT's funding and accreditation.
Quoting from the summary at ED.gov:
Schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record. However, FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR ? 99.31):
- School officials with legitimate educational interest;
- Other schools to which a student is transferring;
- Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
- Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
- Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
- Accrediting organizations;
- To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
- Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
- State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.
The charge per account is based on if the account will be used in association with an RIT Course listed in SIS.
The charge is a one-time fee per account for account creation. As long as the account has not expired it can be used in other myCourses courses or activities. See below for information regarding account expiration.
A charge-back will be processed on account creation, not based on use of the account.
There are no refunds for billed account numbers.
RIT Courses listed in SIS - $5 per account
The base licensing fee is charged for users participating in or directly supporting RIT courses listed in SIS.
Other RIT Activities - $10 per account
Accounts which are not directly supporting an official RIT course listed in SIS, but rather for other purposes within the Institute. For example, other course offering not listed in SIS, non-credit courses, committees or peer review. These accounts are charged the licensing fee and include service and reasonable support for the account holders from Academic Technology Support.
These accounts will expire after six-months of inactivity. For example if the user has not logged in to myCourses since January 1st their account will expire on July 1st.
If an account needs to be recreated after expiration it will be subject to an account creation charge again.
How to Request Accounts
To request accounts send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information.
- User's first and last name
- User's external email address
- The account number to be billed for the charges. Accounts will not be created without an account number.
- Specify whether the course intended is an RIT course listed on SIS and provide the courses(s), or indicate this is for another RIT Activity.
- Please include your phone number as well for our billing records.
Support does not provide the account information to the user.
We will provide the assigned usernames and passwords back to the RIT member making the request. It is their responsibility to communicate the account information back to their users.
Requesting accounts for large groups
We are glad to assist you with large groups, but we would appreciate that they be handled in a single request or in large batches both with appropriate lead time. If this request is for five or more users please supply the information in an Excel Spreadsheet to help expedite our work. One user per line with one column each:
|First Name||Last Name||Email Address|
Requests are processed as we are able to address them. A lead time of at least three business days is strongly recommended to avoid other service demands delaying your accounts.
Access to course shells
Access to course shells is expected to be handled by the instructor of the course. Instructions on how they may add a users to a course through the Classlist can be reviewed in the Classlist - Instructor Documentation.
On account creation we can perform a one-time enrollment to a course if desired. If you wish to take advantage of this option include the following information with your request:
- Course Offering Code
- Found in the course through the Course Admin link on the navigation bar, then selecting Course Offering Information.
- Role for this user in the course (ie. Student, Instructor, or Guest).
- For additional information on the Roles available please visit: What access is granted to each Role in a course?
Granting these users access to additional courses in the future will be the responsibility of the instructor of those courses.