Who can work in the SMFL?
Anyone, provided their project is a good fit with the capabilities of the facility. We host internal and external researchers in the SMFL.
What are the SMFL's Hours of Operation?
- Monday through Friday - 8am to 5pm - the lab is open to all users with a valid safety badge. Users with a Class Safety Badge should be in the facility with their class.
- Monday through Friday - 5pm to midnight - the lab is open to users with Off Hours Access.
- Weekends - 7am to midnight - the lab is open to users with Off Hours Access.
- The lab is currently closed after midnight on all days.
How do I start a project in the SMFL?
- External Users have two choices
- SMFL personnel can perform the work
- Users can perform their own work
- Internal Users have different paths depending on whether their project is
- Microelectronics Senior Project
How much does it cost to use the SMFL?
- The rates for all External Researchers can be found here
- The rates for Internal RIT Researchers can be found here
How do I get Safety Training?
- If you are working on a research project, you will need Researcher Safety Training
- If you are taking a class, you will need Class Safety Training
- The difference between the two and the process for both is found here.
How do I get trained on the tools?
- Users should be working on an approved project
- Users need a Researcher level safety badge.
- The SMFL does not typically hold tool training sessions. Users are encouraged to;
- Read the manual for the tool they are interested in. Most all can be found on the Tool Pages.
- Operate the tool under the supervision of a certified user. The listing of certified users for each tool can be found on the bottom of the Tool Pages.
- Once the user feels they think they know the operation of the tool, they may request to be certified by the Tool or Process Engineers
- The users will be tested in a lab practical format using the Tool Certification Checklist. These can also be found on the individual Tool Pages
How do I get Off Hours Access?
Off hours access is a privilege granted to users at the discretion of the SMFL management
- It based on observations of the candidate’s maturity and technical knowledge as demonstrated by their work in the SMFL over an extended period.
- Off hours users will be expected to have a higher level of safety awareness.
- There are two levels
- OHA - Must work with buddy that has OHA/OHS
- OHS - Supervisory role in lab – Buddy can be anyone with a valid safety badge. Users with OHS are responsible for the people they admit into the lab.
How do I bring my own chemicals into the SMFL?
The lab may not have the chemicals you need. If this is the case, fill out the Imported Chemical Form and contact T. Grimsley before you bring the material into the SMFL