How to start a project in the SMFL
External Users have two options. The SMFL can perform the work or the external user can come into the SMFL and perform the work themselves.
If the SMFL is performing the work
- Contact the SMFL for a discussion of the project scope. Please contact Thomas Grimsley
- The SMFL will issue a quotation for the work to be performed.
- If the quotation is agreeable, the external user returns the signed quotation to the SMFL and makes make arrangements for payment - either a company PO, Visa or MC
- The SMFL performs the work according to the quotation.
- The External user is sent an invoice for the work against their PO or their credit card (Visa or MC) is charged.
If the External User is performing the work
- Contact the SMFL for a discussion of the project scope and fit with the lab.
- Once the project scope is agreed upon, the external user makes arrangements for payment - either a company PO, Visa or MC. A budgetary quote can be issued if this is needed to generate a PO.
- SMFL Visitors Agreement is signed all users.
- Arrangements are made for safety training . This can be scheduled with T. Grimsley.
- The SMFL staff will assist with tool training.
- Billing is done on a monthly basis.
- The External user is sent an invoice for the work against their PO or their credit card (Visa or MC)is charged.
- External Users must work around the classes. RIT classes take priority, lab schedule for the current quarter can be found here.
- External Users can reserve their tool usage at our tool reservation page.
This model is for faulty engaged in sponsored research either through funding agencies or corporate sponsored. All of this work must be done through RIT Sponsored Research Services.
- Researcher contacts SMFL for a discussion of processes to be performed. Match scope of work with capabilities of SMFL.
- Work performed by researchers after safety and tool training.
- Charges incurred - journal entries made against researcher’s project on a monthly basis.
- SMFL Project Form (signed & returned - includes Oracle charge account)
- Internal Academic projects are charged at SMFL internal rates.
This model is for faculty and students engaged in exploratory research, faculty development, or class development. It represents an investment on RIT’s part in the researcher and as such must be approved by the Dean of the College of Engineering.
- Discussion of processes to be performed with researcher. Match scope of work with capabilities of SMFL.
- Includes tool time only, supplies supplied by researcher.
- Monthly statements are sent to the PI to inform them of their SMFL usage.
- SMFL Project Form(signed & returned – signature by Dean of COE required)
- Projects are assessed at SMFL internal rates.