- All users of the SMFL must go through some form of safety training first and then take and pass an SMFL Safety Test on a yearly basis.
- A valid safety badge (two types) is required to use the facilities. You receive a new safety badge after taking and passing an SMFL Safety Test
- Badges are good for one year. Expiration dates correspond with the academic calendar (Fall, spring and Summer semesters).
- Those without a valid safety badge must wear a Visitor Badge - No processing is allowed.
Types of safety training available in the SMFL.
For those taking a lab/class in the SMFL - basic safety training.
- This level enables user to operate in the SMFL under supervision of Instructor/TA/Researcher.
- No certification/swiping of tools.
- Tool operation is done under the supervision of a Certified User for that tool.
- This training is delivered through RIT's MyCourses software.
For those that are going to be working independently in the SMFL. You don't need an active project, but you shouldn shouldn't be far from getting one.
- Appropriate for students actively processing wafers in lab sections. For example - MicroE students working on their senior project.
- Advanced safety training along with SMFL policies and procedures.Able to
- Large focus on emergencies in the facility and how to react to them
- User can be certified on tools.
- Good for all areas in the SMFL with the exception of the Wet Etch Bays.
- Entire process must be finished in the semester it was started.
- Chemical training is available for users that already have their Researcher Badge
- Users should have some chemistry/chemical processing experience beforehand
- It enables users to perform chemical processing in the two Wet Etch Bays
- More information can be found here - SMFL Chemical Training
Steps to get your safety training - new users
- Once you have your Researcher Badge, you may attend SMFL Chemical Training to upgrade your capabilities in the lab.
- See the recommendations before starting Chemical Training.
Steps to renew your expired safety badge