Users can choose to have some notifications sent to them by email, RSS, or SMS so they can be informed of course updates without being required to log in to myCourses.
|Table of Contents|
|title||Configuration required to avoid significant message volume|
If you choose to enable Notifications you must take time to configure them properly to ensure they meet your needs.
Misconfiguration can cause a large amount of messages to be sent out.
You can access your Notification settings through the Notifications link found in your user menu found by clicking on your name on the minibar at the top of most pages, or through the Notifications link found through the action menu on any Announcements tool.
- On the Notifications page, click the Enable email notifications link.
- Select your email. If you select Use custom email, enter your email address in the custom email field.
- Click Save on the form.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
- You will see your email next to "Send email notifications to:".
All notifications will be sent from the firstname.lastname@example.org address. Please make sure to
whitelist this address in your email client to ensure your email notifications are not blocked as junk mail.
You can go ahead and remove this email contact by clicking on the Delete email settings icon.
|title||Carrier charges may apply for text messages|
Charges may apply for text messages depending upon your mobile carrier and your service contract with them. myCourses and the Rochester Institute of Technology are not responsible for any charges you may incur by choosing to enable notifications.
- On the Notifications page, click the Register your mobile link.
- On the Register Your Mobile form, select your Country, select your Mobile Carrier, and enter your full Mobile Number.
- Click Save.
- You will receive a registration confirmation code as a text message, enter it in the Confirmation Code field.
- Click Confirm.
- Customize Max number of messages per day if desired.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
|title||Additional mobile carriers|
If your mobile carrier is not listed and you know they offer an Email to SMS/Text Message gateway, please feel free to supply a link to that carriers gateway information to Academic Technology Support to get it added as an available option. The gateway must be a public method where an email can be sent to a user based on their phone number so they will receive it as a text message.
At the bottom of the form the Customize Notifications section offers a few additional options.
The first checkbox, Include my grade value in notifications from Grades, allows you the option of including your actual grades in messages. You may wish to disable this if this is a privacy concern for a shared mobile device.
The remaining options allow you to receive notifications for courses outside of the current academic term or courses that have been made inactive by the instructor. We recommend leaving these options unchecked. If a class is in a future term or it has been made inactive, students will not be able to access the course so notifications will not be useful in those cases.
Exclude Some Courses
Your notification settings allow you to exclude courses you do not wish to receive notifications for.
- Go to your Notifications settings.
- You can access your Notification settings through the Notifications link found in your user menu found by clicking on your name on the minibar at the top of most pages, or through the Notifications link found through the action menu on any News tool.
- Under the Exclude Some Courses heading, click Manage my Course Exclusions.
- Either browse the list or use the search box to locate the course you wish to disable, and click the Exclude button next to the right of the course title to stop notifications for that course.
- Repeat this for each course you wish to disable.
- Click the Close button at the bottom of the Manage Course Exclusions dialog.
- Click the Save button on the Notifications settings.
To enable a course that has been excluded, repeat the steps above but instead of the 'X' to exclude the course a Restore button will be shown to click on.
In this example the Search field was used to narrow down the list to courses with 'online' in the title. The Online Writing Lab (OWL) is currently excluded and the user will not receive notifications from this course.
New course enrollments will be enabled by default. If you are added to a new committee or enrolled in courses for an upcoming semester you will receive notifications for those items unless you exclude them.
Quickly find a term
When searching for courses, you can quickly find courses for a specific semester by searching on the term number with a leading period. For example, searching on .2121 will display all of your enrolled courses for Fall Quarter 2012 (2121).
See all courses
If you have performed a search and wish to see all of your courses again click the 'x' next to what you have typed in to the search field.
Restoring all courses
|title||Performed without confirmation|
This option will be performed without a confirmation at this time. Please do not click on this link unless you are sure you wish to reset your excluded courses.
- Under Exclude Some Courses, click Manage my Course Exclusions.
- Click on Restore Excluded Courses.