Anyone, provided their project is a good fit with the capabilities of the facility. We host internal and external researchers in the SMFL.
What are the SMFL's Hours of Operation?
- Monday through Friday - 8am to 5pm - the lab is open to all users with a valid safety badge. Users with a Class Safety Badge should be in the facility with their class.
- Monday through Friday - 5pm to midnight - the lab is open to users with Off Hours Access.
- Weekends - 7am to midnight - the lab is open to users with Off Hours Access.
- The lab is currently closed after midnight on all days.
How do I start a project in the SMFL?
- External Users have two choices
- SMFL personnel can perform the work
- Users can perform their own work
- Internal Users have different paths depending on whether their project is
- Microelectronics Senior Project
- If you are working on a research project, you will need Researcher Safety Training
- If you are taking a class, you will need Class Safety Training
- The difference between the two and the process for both is found here.
- Users should be working on an approved project
- Users need a Researcher level safety badge.
- The SMFL does not typically hold tool training sessions. Users are encouraged to;
- Read the manual for the tool they are interested in. Most all can be found on the Tool Pages.
- Operate the tool under the supervision of a certified user. the The listing of certified users for each tool can be found on the bottom of the Tool Pages.
- Once the user feels they think they know the operation of the tool, they may request to be certified by the Tool or Process Engineers
- The users will be tested in a lab practical format using the Tool Certification Checklist. These can also be found on the individual Tool Pages
How do I get Off Hours Access?
Off hours access is a privilege granted to users at the discretion of the SMFL management
- It based on observations of the candidate’s maturity and technical knowledge as demonstrated by their work in the SMFL over an extended period.
- Off hours users will be expected to have a higher level of safety awareness.
- There are two levels
- OHA - Must work with buddy that has OHA/OHS
- OHS - Supervisory role in lab – Buddy can be anyone with a valid safety badge. Users with OHS are responsible for the people they admit into the lab.
The full process for obtaining Off Hours can be found here.
How do I bring my own chemicals into the SMFL?