This page explains how to insert TLS captioned videos and new self-created videos into myCourses using the Ensemble Video integration. First time users of this process should complete a TLS Media request to ensure your personal video library on the Ensemble Video server has been created.
Captioning is not automatic. After you upload a video into myCourses please complete the online captioning request form, captioning turnaround time is 1-2 weeks and it will appear on your already inserted videos.
You will receive an email notification when your captions are complete and you can verify by clicking on the CC icon while the video is playing.
STEP 1: Create a New File
- Log into myCourses and open your course shell.
- Open the Content area of your course.
- Within the Content area click New, then click Create a File. You can skip this step if you want to insert your video in existing content, news, or discussion posts (in those instances edit your content and proceed to step 2).
STEP 2: Insert Stuff
Enter a title for this file that corresponds to the video(s) that you will be inserting. Add any text that you wish to appear above the video, such as an introductory paragraph.
Click on the Insert Stuff icon.
STEP 3: Select Ensemble Video
- Click on the Ensemble Video link found on the left side menu. This will only work if you have first requested a video library from TLS media services, this can be done by emailing email@example.com
STEP 4: Find an Existing Video / Upload a New Video
- You will see a list of the individual videos currently in your RIT video library.
If you have access to more than one library (such as a department library, Wallace Library Streamed DVD, or other shared library) you can use the dropdown list at the top to switch to your Shared Library.
- To quickly find a video you can use the empty field to filter the list by typing in a piece of the video title.
- If you want to insert one of your video playlists (a list of videos for an entire course), click on the tab at the top labeled Choose Playlist. Playlists can be created and managed by logging into video.rit.edu, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance in setting one up.
- If you want to add a new video to your library click on the Upload link and follow the prompts. Please note that when you upload a video it will undergo a transcoding process, this may take several minutes to hours before your video is viewable, however you can insert your video into myCourses before the transcoding is complete.
STEP 5: Select Video / Adjust Video Size
- Click on the green plus icon to insert a specific video or playlist.
- To adjust the size of the video before you insert it click on the gear icon and use the dropdown menu to increase/decrease the size of the video. (suggest no greater than 720x405 for myCourses)
- Click the Save button to proceed.
STEP 6: Insert Video
- Review the video, if it looks as you desire then click Insert.
STEP 7: Publish Video
- Add any additional text above or below the video, or repeat the process to add another video.
- Click Publish to complete the process.
A Video tutorial that illustrates how to both upload a video and insert a video into myCourses can be found here: