When enrolling a user into a course you select the Role to assign them in that course.
What access a role has to a course is defined globally for all of RIT. The access a role has cannot be customized at the course level.
User roles work with a course as participants.
User roles cannot see a course listed nor access it if a course is set as inactive by the Instructor or if the timing is currently before the start date set on a course (Course Admin > Course Offering Information).
- Student - The general Student Role. Students can participate fully in a course and their work can be evaluated. Students can only see their own information in tools that would be considered of a personal nature such as the Grades, individual Assignment submissions, Quizzes, etc.
- Guest - A guest has the same basic access of a Student, but they cannot submit work in tools for assessment and cannot be added to groups. For example they cannot take a quiz nor submit files to a Assignment folder.
Staff Roles have varying control over the course and course tools. The roles are listed below in order from most control to the least control.
Staff Roles cannot participate in activities to be evaluated such as taking a quiz, submitting an Assignment, and cannot be graded.
Their access is not restricted by course dates or the courses active state.
- Instructor - The general Instructor Role, has full control over the course.
- Support Staff - All the access an Instructor has but not the title.
- Teaching Assistant - Generally the same access as an Instructor Role with regards to creating and editing but, where the permissions allow for it, the TA is restricted from deleting in a tool.
- Grader - May download and evaluate Assignments, can upload files in Assignment feedback, grade items in the Grades, import/export grades in the Grades, and grade Quizzes. All other access is the same a Guest.
- Access Services - Has the same basic access of a Student, but they cannot submit work in tools for assessment and cannot be added to groups. Intended for Sign Language Interpreters and C-Print Captionists supporting courses to be able to review general course materials.
- Course Copy Access - A restricted role intended to allow the user to copy the course. Where possible read-only access has been granted. Some aspects to note:
- To be able to copy a course, a user is allowed to copy in to that course. Because of this there is the risk that a user with Course Copy Access could accidentally copy in to that course if they are not careful. Unfortunately this is the big catch with the current permission settings available to us.
- Grades will only show a student view for a user with Course Copy Access.
- Quizzes can be previewed, but to grant this permission a user with Course Copy Access has access to the Edit Categories button. This was considered an acceptable concession to allow users to preview quizzes before copying.
- Some tools may not be accessible if they are not publicly accessible on the navigation bar, but they will copy. Some examples of this are the Attendance and Rubrics tools.
- Tools this role will not be able to preview, but they may copy:
- Navigation & Themes
- Question Library
A users role will impact how a user can see sections in a merged course.
Student and Guest are enrolled in a specific section and can only see the section they are assigned to.
All other roles have access to all sections of a course.