Welcome to the Starfish page for the RIT community! Within this site you will find an overview of the academic alert system, training documentation, and FAQ's.
Fall 2151 Academic Alert Progress Surveys*:
Progress Survey 2151-1 will open at 7am on Monday September 14th and close at 11pm on Sunday October 4th.
Progress Survey 2151-2 will open at 7am on Monday October 19th and close at 11pm on Sunday November 8th.
Last day to withdraw with a grade of “W” is November 13, 2015
All 2151 flags will be Cleared on Friday December 18th.
*You can send an academic alert at ANY point in the term by using the "Raise Flag" function.
Fall 2151 System Updates: You asked…we responded!
Student, instructor, and advisor feedback gave us the opportunity to make a few enhancements to the Starfish Early Alert system.
- Faculty requested we rename “Early Alerts” to “Academic Alerts” to send a consistent message of concern throughout the term.
- While the system is Starfish Early Alert, we will refer to alerts as “academic alerts” moving forward.
- Students, faculty pointed out that the subject line “Early Alert…” was problematic for a) students who were being alerted later in the term and b) students receiving positive feedback via Kudos.
- Email communications to students will have new subject lines
- For all academic alerts: “Academic Alert for Jane Smith in General Biology I”
- For Keep Up the Good Work: “Kudos for Jane Smith in General Biology I”
- Faculty advisors have requested to receive the “Daily Digest” summary email.
- Faculty advisors will now receive a “Daily Digest” for all advisees who receive an academic alert or kudos.
- Faculty advisors can opt out of this feature by changing their “Email Preferences” in their Starfish Early Alert profile.
- Faculty suggested discontinuing the use of an auto-populated instructor signature in the emails that are automatically generated to students when flags and kudos are raised.
- The email templates have been revised to notify the student that a flag or kudos has been raised. Course name and instructor name are also included along with any personalized comments you add. There is no longer a signature line.
- Sample communications for all flags and kudos can be found here.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR INSTRUCTORS:
The progress survey allows an instructor to send alerts related to 4 different aspects of academic performance (attendance, participation, assignments, and tests). Each topic identified as a concern will generate an automated email that goes directly to the student. We ask that you:
- Check only ONE box for the performance area of greatest concern
- Indicate in the comment box any specifics about the alert, including your concerns related to the other 3 performance areas.
- Selecting more than one box triggers separate emails to the student for each area of concern, resulting in multiple emails.
- Any time an instructor raises a flag (via progress survey or "Raise Flag") and includes a comment, the comment is embedded in the standardized email and goes directly to the student. Please direct all comments directly to the student.
- All comments and messages are stored in the early alert system and are disclosable under FERPA.
- In-person training is highly recommended for instructors to understand the system's additional functionality & communications related to alerts. In the meantime, a user can get a good overview of the system by reviewing the information listed under each of the menu items included here.
Training and Questions:
- The step-by-step guides on this site serve as a user guide.
- To sign up for training on the Starfish system, please visit the CPD website: http://www.rit.edu/fa/cpd/early-alert-session-instructors-and-advisors
- Wednesday September 9, 2015 10-11am
- Friday September 18, 2015 9-10am
- Tuesday September 22, 2015 5-6pm
- Thursday October 22, 2015 12-1pm
- If you have any questions not addressed on this site, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We are continuously developing this site and information will be updated regularly; please check back frequently for the newest updates about early alerts!