Welcome to the Starfish page for the RIT community! Within this site you will find an overview of the academic alert system, training documentation, and FAQ's.
Fall 2151 Academic Alert Progress Surveys*:
Progress Survey 2151-1 will open at 7am on Monday September 14th and close at 11pm on Sunday October 4th.
Progress Survey 2151-2 will open at 7am on Monday October 19th and close at 11pm on Sunday November 8th.
Last day to withdraw with a grade of “W” is November 13, 2015
All 2151 flags will be Cleared on Friday December 18th.
*You can send an academic alert at ANY point in the term by using the "Raise Flag" function.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR INSTRUCTORS:
Starfish allows the course instructor to easily inform a student that they may be at-risk in specific areas within the course. Advisors assigned to the student also receive notification of the instructors concern. Instructors and advisors can then take a coordinated approach to help students utilize campus resources and develop an action plan.
The progress survey allows an instructor to send alerts related to 4 different aspects of academic performance (attendance, participation, assignments, and tests). Each topic identified as a concern will generate an automated email that goes directly to the student. We ask that you:
- Check only ONE box for the performance area of greatest concern
- Indicate in the comment box any specifics about the alert, including your concerns related to the other 3 performance areas.
- Selecting more than one box triggers separate emails to the student for each area of concern, resulting in multiple emails.
- Any time an instructor raises a flag (via progress survey or "Raise Flag") and includes a comment, the comment is embedded in the standardized email and goes directly to the student. Please direct all comments directly to the student.
- All comments and messages are stored in the early alert system and are disclosable under FERPA.
- In-person training is highly recommended for instructors to understand the system's additional functionality & communications related to alerts. In the meantime, a user can get a good overview of the system by reviewing the information listed under each of the menu items included here.
Training and Questions:
- The step-by-step guides on this site serve as a user guide.
- To sign up for training on the Starfish system, please visit the CPD website: http://www.rit.edu/fa/cpd/early-alert-session-instructors-and-advisors
- Wednesday September 9, 2015 10-11am
- Friday September 18, 2015 9-10am
- Tuesday September 22, 2015 5-6pm
- Thursday October 22, 2015 12-1pm
- If you have any questions not addressed on this site, please contact email@example.com
We are continuously developing this site and information will be updated regularly; please check back frequently for the newest updates about early alerts!