What books or software do I need? Is there a required textbook?
For all edX courses, there is no required textbook or book you need to buy. All learning content is provided within the edX course materials. Some learning content may link to web sources outside of the edX platform, however any web sources are openly viewable to the public.
All edX courses will require you to have the following to view course materials:
- Access to the internet
- A internet-capable device with a supported browser or the edX Mobile App
- Adobe Reader or other PDF viewing software (free download on Adobe's website)
Some courses have specific requirements needed to complete activities or download course materials:
- CYBER502x, CYBER504x: There are optional/ungraded activities in the courses that require the download of software or use of tools in order to complete. The course materials provide links to the software/tools needed, and all are well-known, widely-used, and "safe". All items are available for free or have a free trial version.
- PM9001x, PM9002x, PM9003x: You will need either Microsoft Office, LibreOffice (free download at libreoffice.org), OpenOffice (free download at openoffice.org), or a Google account (free account registration at google.com). Other office or document-creating software may open the file types we provide, but we created the files to open with these specific software options. You do not need to download any project management software.
- PM9004x Capstone: In order to complete the verified learner exam, you will need a desktop or laptop computer with a webcam that also meets all system requirements to use the edX platform and virtual proctoring software. You will also need to download and temporarily install the free virtual proctoring software (instructions will be provided).
NOTE: For support for the software, view the manufacturer's documentation.