What is the Project Management capstone exam like? What will the capstone include?
The PM9004x Capstone Exam will test knowledge across all three RITx Project Management courses (PM9001x, PM9002x, PM9003x) and includes the evaluation of the competencies and performance tasks which define a successful project manager.
DETAILS ABOUT THE CAPSTONE EXAM
- When it is Offered: Currently scheduled exam offerings can be found on the PM9004x Capstone Exam page.
- Testing Location: You can complete the exam on any desktop or laptop computer with an internet connection and webcam. You cannot use a mobile device (phone or tablet) to complete the exam. The exam is done in the edX platform. You do not need to go to an exam center.
- Time Limits: The exam will be open for a 7-day period. Part 1 must be completed within 2 hours (120 minutes). Part 2 must be completed within 2 hours (120 minutes). You can take a break in between parts of the exam, but we recommend you take the two exam parts as close together as possible so your results are returned timely.
- Proctoring: Virtual proctoring is used. View the Virtual Proctoring System Requirements.
- Use of Materials During Exam: Besides the PM9004x course in edX and supplied reference materials within PM9004x, the only other browser tabs you are allowed to have open are the PM9001x, PM9002x, and PM9003x courses in edX (including your notes in the edX Notes Tool), the Software Secure (proctor software) website, and the edX learner documentation. Besides the virtual proctoring software (Software Secure) and your browser, the only other software you can have open is your computer calculator. You are also allowed to have a single two-sided sheet of blank paper and a pen or pencil. You are not allowed to have/use any other books/textbooks, websites or software, papers, printed notes, phones/mobile devices, separate computers or monitors, notebooks, people, or music/television.
- Types of Problems: There are two parts to the exam. Part 1 will test mostly on the understanding of basic concepts from the three courses. Part 2 will use scenarios and case studies to test the application of concepts. The problems are similar to the types of questions used in the assignments and final exams in the three courses. Many questions will layer together learning across the three courses.
- Attempts: You will have one attempt for each question in the exam.
- Retaking the Exam: View our FAQ on retaking the capstone exam.
- Accommodations for Learners with Disabilities: Contact the course team.
PREPARING FOR THE CAPSTONE EXAM
We recommend that you review all of the three RITx Project Management courses and take your own notes to document the key learning from each course/lesson. You will be allowed to access the edX Notes Tool during the exam, so we highly recommend you go back and ensure all notes you want to have access to are entered into this tool. You should be able to view all the courses you've taken on your edX dashboard unless you unenrolled to remove them. Students must prepare individually as there are no instructor-provided practice problems.
You may also want to review edX's virtual proctoring instructions.
EXAM ELIGIBILITY & COSTS
Students who pass all three RITx Project Management courses (with a 80% or higher) on the verified track will be invited to take the capstone exam as a verified student. The cost to take the exam as a verified student is $450. You can only earn the MicroMasters certificate if you pass all four required courses in the program as a verified student with a 80% or higher. There is no exam provided to audit students.
NOTE: This FAQ is about the exam in the PM9004x Capstone course. If you want information on the individual course's final exams (PM9001x, PM9002x, PM9003x), view our FAQ on course final exams.