What is the Design Thinking capstone like? What will the capstone include?
The THINK525x Design Thinking Capstone will test knowledge and skills across all four RITx Design Thinking courses (THINK501, THINK502, THINK503, THINK504). It will include a project-based set of activities similar to those done in the four courses and a short proctored exam.
DETAILS ABOUT THE CAPSTONE
- When it is Offered: Currently scheduled capstone offerings can be found on the THINK525x Design Thinking Capstone page.
- Testing Location: The capstone is completed on the edX platform. You do not need to go to an exam center.
- Required Software/Hardware: You will need a desktop or laptop computer with an internet connection. You may be able to complete the project-based activities using a mobile device, but you will NOT be able to complete the proctored component on a mobile device. The short exam also requires a webcam and the use of virtual proctoring software. View the Virtual Proctoring System Requirements for details.
- Use of Materials During Capstone: You can reference the previous four courses (THINK501, THINK502, THINK503, THINK504). During the proctored component, additional restrictions will apply and details will be coming soon.
- Retaking the capstone: View our FAQ on retaking the capstone.
- Accommodations for Learners with Disabilities: Contact the course team.
PREPARING FOR THE CAPSTONE
We recommend that you review all of the four RITx Design Thinking courses and take your own notes to document the key learning from each course/lesson. You will be allowed to access the edX Notes Tool during the capstone, so we highly recommend you go back and ensure all notes you want to have access to are entered into this tool. You should be able to view all the courses you've taken on your edX dashboard unless you unenrolled to remove them. Students must prepare individually as there are no instructor-provided practice problems.
You may also want to review edX's virtual proctoring instructions.
CAPSTONE ELIGIBILITY & COSTS
Students who pass all four RITx Design Thinking courses (with a 80% or higher) on the verified track will be invited to take the capstone as a verified student. The cost to take the capstone as a verified student is $200. If you do not meet the eligibility criteria or you do not want to pay for the verification, there will be a separate "audit student" capstone experience offered at the same time that can be used as practice. The "audit student" capstone experience will not not include a proctored component and will not give you credit towards the MicroMasters certificate. You can only earn the MicroMasters certificate if you pass all five required courses in the program as a verified student with a 80% or higher.