We know there is a lot here, please read this information thoroughly to help us create a wiki space to meet your needs properly the first time.
If you have any questions please contact us in Academic Technology Support before submitting your request.
We ask that you fill out the form for all requests instead of calling our office as it automates aspects of the wiki creation for us.
Wiki spaces are only available at the request of RIT Faculty or Staff accounts
- Wiki spaces for course work must be requested by the instructor of the course.
- Wiki spaces for student groups must be requested by a Faculty or Staff advisor.
- In all cases the faculty or staff member is expected to maintain oversight of the space to make sure it respects RIT's Code of Conduct for Computer and Network Use and it is an appropriate use of RIT resources.
If you would like a new wiki space, please refer to the "Types of Wiki Requests" below and fill out the appropriate request form. When the form is complete, click the Submit Wiki Request button to submit your request to The Wallace Center for approval.
To place a request you must be logged in to the wiki with your RIT Account. If you are not logged in, you may see an error below. The Log In link is found to the upper right of this page. If you see your name there, you are currently signed in to the wiki and may proceed with your request.
Types of Wiki Spaces
Please review the three types of requests below and fill out the appropriate form for the type of wiki you would like.
- Personal Wiki Spaces: Faculty and Staff may activate a Personal Space on their account without submitting a request to support. A personal space can act as a practice area to learn the wiki or try things out, or other activities such as housing your research or managing personal projects. To turn on your Personal Space right now, please follow these instructions.
Course Wiki Space: Use this form to request a wiki space for an individual semester of a course. Academic Technology Support will add your classlist to the wiki space granting your students access.
If your course is merged in myCourses, please include a list of each section's full course number in the Additional Comments section of the wiki request form. Academic Technology Support will then add each section of students to your wiki space.
Please use the Course Wiki Space request form request form.
- General Use Wiki Space: This wiki request form is best for projects that are not associated with an official RIT course. General wiki spaces do not have a course number, and therefore have no students or instructors. Examples of general wiki spaces include wikis for club or student organizations, committees for university projects and initiatives, wiki spaces serving as a template for others to copy, and departmental documentation.
Please use the General Use Wiki Space request form request form.
Copy an Existing Wiki Space/Template: Use this form to request a copy of an existing wiki space already hosted under the wiki.rit.edu server. This form is frequently used for course wiki spaces, where the entire wiki space needs to be copied to a different quarter or semester. This allows a new set of students to interact with the newly-copied wiki space. If you are requesting a copy of a course wiki space for an upcoming quarter, Academic Technology Support will add your student groups to the newly-created copy.
What is copied and what is not?
When a wiki space is copied, the newly-created copy contains all wiki pages and their hierarchical structure, the wiki space theme, information about the original authors of wiki pages, the dates the wiki pages were created, and any attachments to individual pages. Comments and personal labels are not copied, unless otherwise noted. Only the person who requested the copy will have full administrator privileges; no other groups or individual users are given access.
Please use the Copy Existing Wiki Space request form request form.