How to start a project in the SMFL

External Users

External Users have two options. The SMFL can perform the work or the external user can come into the SMFL and perform the work themselves.

If the SMFL is performing the work
If the External User is performing the work


Internal Users


This model is for faulty engaged in sponsored research either through funding agencies or corporate sponsored. All of this work must be done through RIT Sponsored Research Services.


This model is for faculty and students engaged in exploratory research, faculty development, or class development. It represents an investment on RIT’s part in the researcher and as such must be approved by the Dean of the College of Engineering.

Senior Projects